Radon

Radon is an odorless, tasteless, naturally occurring radioactive gas estimated to be the cause of thousands of deaths in the United States each year. Radon is produced during the natural decay of uranium in soil, rock and water. When you breathe air in your home, office or school containing radon, over time, you are at risk of developing lung cancer. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. Your chances of getting lung cancer from radon depend mostly on:

  • The concentration of radon is in your home;
  • The length of time you spend in your home;
  • The amount and length of time you have smoked.

The only way to know if there is a radon problem in your home is to test.

More information about radon
 

We are providing the radon survey free of charge this winter. Tribal Building will be surveyed in December and January, and Tribal Homes in January and Feburary. Not all Homes will be surveyed this winter, but we'll make an effort to reach as many as we can. Please call Mike at 564-5436 or Tomo at 564-5431 if you would like to have your home surveyed. Those who called in and made appointment with us will receive the service first.

If you decided to test your home for radon on your own, it's handy to use Radon Testing Kit, which normally includes the lab analyses. There is a great variety of kits available, but before you purchase one, read the consumer report on those kits.

http://www.consumerreports.org/health/healthy-living/health-safety/lead-radon-test-kits/radon-kits/lead-radon-tests-kits-radon-kits.htm

And please feel free to call 564-5431 to discuss options.